Indian medium pace bowler Praveen Kumar on Monday has been ruled out of the World Cup due to an elbow injury, sources told CNN-IBN.
It is also been learnt that the 24-year-old swing bowler will be replaced by either Kerala pacer S Sreesanth or Karnataka bowler R Vinay Kumar.
With the quadrennial event just around the corner, an injury to India's major pace weapon could be a big jolt to the team which is going for its second World Cup title.
Sources also indicated that Kumar is yet to fully recover from the elbow injury he sustained during practice before the ODI series in South Africa last month.
The BCCI has all along maintained that he would be fully fit before the World Cup. No official was, however, willing to give an update on his injury status.
Kumar, who was undergoing rehabilitation at the National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Bangalore, had said that the rehab programme was on the right track.
"I am feeling pretty good now. The rehab programme is on the right track and hopefully I will strike a good rhythm before the tournament starts", he had said earlier.
Just a few days back, India's explosive opener Virender Sehwag declared himself fit for the event starting from February 19.
Sehwag missed the one day international series in South Africa and returned home along with his Delhi teammate Gautam Gambhir.